To continue on with the apple recipes (as I still have so many from apple picking two weeks ago!!), I present you with a delicious soup recipe!! This might just be my favorite butternut squash soup now. Usually I do a coconut curry butternut squash soup, which is also delicious, but this is very different. The apples bring such a sweetness to this smooth and creamy perfect-for-fall soup. I got the recipe from the cookbook The Frugal Foodie, and it’s really easy to make!
Butternut Squash & Apple Soup (Adapted from The Frugal Foodie, serves 12)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Small vidalia onions
- 3 Pounds butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 2 in pieces (tutorial on how I cut my butternut squash to follow!)
- 4 Gala apples (I used a mixture of apples we picked at the orchards)
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 5 Cups vegetable stock
- 1 Cup water
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- Salt and pepper to taste
Here’s how I cut my butternut squash so the pieces come out nice and even.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot and add your onions. Saute until soft and slightly brown. The more brown they get, the sweeter they will be, so if you have a super sweet tooth, go ahead and brown them up as much as you’d like.
- Add squash, apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add cider, vegetable stock and water, then bring to a boil for 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, and cook partially covered until the butternut squash is soft (about a half hour).
- Cool slightly, and in batches, blend until completely smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
I served mine with a hearty bread, and ate everything within oh…..5 minutes? 🙂
**Have a project you made using one of my tutorials? Show it off! I, along with all my followers, would love to see it! 🙂 I’ve started a new page on my blog called “Your Pictures!”, located right next to the “About This Blog!” link at the top of my blog. Check it out for more information, and to see other fan pics!**